As we approach Christmas, we also come to the end of the first exciting year of Release Counselling & Therapy for Women! Here are some highlights:
– Release has received referrals from 40 individual women over the last 12 months
– 6 women completed the ‘Into the Light’ 10 week group for survivors of childhood sexual abuse, and then formed their own peer-led support group
– 8 women have engaged in one-to-one counselling
– 15 women are currently on our waiting list for our therapeutic groups in 2014
– Release was awarded almost £10,000 from the National Lottery to run our therapeutic groups in the community
– Release successfully became a registered Community Interest Company (CIC), providing a legal framework for the project and a mechanism for fundraising.
It has been such an exciting year for us, seeing women engaging with our service. This is what some women have had to say about their experiences at Release Counselling:
“Along my 20 year journey of dealing with childhood sexual abuse, this has undoubtedly been the most valuable experience. Nothing else has come close.”
“The course has been brilliant and really helped me to face my issues. It has been lovely to have the support of a group and the facilitators were great.”
“Thank you so much. I have really benefitted from it and have taken away a number of tools.”
2014 looks set to be a year of expansion for Release, as we look to run a 10 week support group for new mums called MummyShock, and a 10 week group called Boost your confidence and improve your self-esteem group. We will also be re-running our group with Into the Light, for survivors of childhood sexual abuse.
Finally, a note of special thanks to Release Directors, Emily Baldwin, Rachael Gale and Hannah Tedman for their involvement this year. Thanks also to Dreams & Visions Brighton, and the National Lottery for funding, and to Confederation for design. Thanks also to Rebecca Mitchell and all at Into the Light for ongoing partnership and support.
Warmest wishes this Christmas,